Feb. 16, 2013 Associated Press
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A Kansas City-area man was arrested Saturday in the killings of two prostitutes whose bodies were found posed on the side of rural Missouri roads nearly a year apart.
At a news conference Saturday night, authorities said Derek Richardson, 27, has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of abandonment of a corpse. His bail is set at $2 million. It wasn't immediately known whether he has an attorney.
"We absolutely stopped a person who was going to kill again," said Kansas City police Sgt. Doug Niemeier, adding that authorities will search across the United States to ensure there weren't other victims.
"We do know that he had travels elsewhere," Niemeier said, "so we will be contacting those states just to make sure."
Police announced earlier this month that the deaths of Tamara Sparks and Nicoleone Reed were linked and asked the public for help. Police said they believed whoever was responsible for the deaths also was the person who lost a size 11, canvas, Crocs-brand shoe at the site where Sparks' body was found.
An Argentine woman was confronted by an angry crowd when she married her twin sister's killer on Valentine's Day.
Edith Casas, 22, wed Victor Cingolani yesterday in a ceremony taking place less than a year into the groom's 13-year sentence for the murder of model Johana Casas.
The bride was pelted with stones and eggs as she emerged from the register office, while her husband, disguised in sunglasses and a beret, was rushed out of the back door to his cell.
The couple married in Pico Truncade in southern Argentina, the same city where Johana was shot twice in the head days before her 20th birthday in July 2010.
Her body was found on the outskirts of the city, which lies around 1,200 miles from the capital Buenos Aires, and Cingolani, an ex-boyfriend, was convicted of murder in June last year.
Cingolani was convicted of murder in June last year, when a court found he was a 'willing participant' in the killing.
According to The Independent, he told a local news channel on the morning of the wedding: 'I’m getting married because I love Edith. I didn’t think the wedding would have so many repercussions worldwide.'
Bride: Edith Casas had to undergo physiological testing ordered by a judge before she could marry Cingolani
Cingolani claims he is innocent and is appealing against the conviction. Another man, Marco Diaz, who was sharing a house with Johana when she died, is also accused of the kill and will be tried in May.
Edith also argues her husband is innocent, and last year said: 'I’m going to get married to the person I love and not the person who killed my sister.'
Model: Johana died days before her 20th birthday
She added: 'Victor is not a violent person and I’m not mad. We’ve got no doubts about what we’re doing. We love each other.'
Feb. 14, 2013 Reuters
SAN FRANCISCO - A judge paved the way on Thursday for federal authorities to seek the closure of a medical marijuana dispensary in California, dismissing a challenge by the city of Oakland to a federal crackdown targeting the facility, court papers showed.
But the executive director of the Harborside Health Center pledged that he would not close the Oakland outfit that bills itself as the world's largest medical pot dispensary and was featured in the Discovery Channel television series "Weed Wars."
Magistrate Judge Maria-Elena James wrote in a 10-page ruling that a local U.S. attorney had successfully argued the federal government was immune from Oakland's lawsuit under the Administrative Procedures Act, which sets out how U.S. agencies develop and issue regulations.
California is one of 18 states which, in addition to the District of Columbia, allow medical marijuana. But the federal government holds the drug is illegal and liable to be abused.
A representative for the U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of California declined to comment on the ruling.
Oakland, in a novel lawsuit filed in October, sought to halt federal prosecutors' efforts to shutter Harborside. The dispensary was expected to generate an estimated $1.4 million in sales tax revenues for the city this year.
A massive food fight involving hundreds of students at a Minneapolis high school escalated into a brawl that left several injured and forced the school into partial lockdown, officials said Friday.
South High School staff called in the police to help break up more than 200 students who had massed on Valentine's Day and started flinging food, bottles, utensils -- "anything they could get their hands on" -- through the air, Minneapolis police Sgt. William Palmer said.
During the school's first lunch, someone hit a girl in the head with an item, he said. By second lunch, rumors swirled around campus. And by third lunch, students were on edge.
Soon, students swarmed. A shaky cellphone video of the commotion shows a wave of students trying to run away from the crowd. One girl tripped, another accidentally let go of her heart-shaped, helium-filled balloon.
Within minutes, Palmer said, students began shoving one another and staff members. Some people fell to the ground, others were pinned up against walls.
When 10 police officers arrived around 12:30 p.m., they shouted commands to disperse. The students ignored them, Palmer said, and then two officers sprayed Mace into the air above the throng.
One of at least five people hospitalized after the fight was a student complaining about exposure to Mace, Palmer said. Another student sustained an ankle injury from jumping off a table, and a staff member was hit in the head with a hard object during the fracas.
Feb. 14, 2013 The Guardian
Object of public wrath is Islamist politician found guilty of war crimes during Bangladesh's war of independence in 1971
Festering resentment among a youthful population super-charged by social media is by now a familiar ingredient to mass protest movements around the world.
But the latest example of the phenomenon in the Shahbag area of the capital of Dhaka that has been dubbed Bangladesh's "Tahrir Square" is not attempting to topple a military dictatorship.
A crowd estimated to be hundreds of thousands strong has been camped on the streets for 10 days demanding the execution of war criminals.
The movement has created such strong feelings that some expatriate Bangladeshis have flown home to support the call for the death penalty. Children have been filmed with the slogan "We want death by hanging" painted across their cheeks and torsos.
The object of the public wrath is Abdul Quader Mollah, an Islamist politician found guilty this month of crimes including massacres, torture and rapes during Bangladesh's bloody war of independence from Pakistan in 1971.
Another eight members of Mollah's Jamaat-e-Islami party are also on trial, as are two members of the opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party, including a former government minister.
The men had attempted to resist efforts by what was then called "East Pakistan" to break away from the rest of Pakistan, triggering an immensely violent conflict. It is estimated that anywhere between 300,000 and 3 million people were killed by the Pakistani Army and their allied local militias.
Feb. 14, 2013 Yahoo
South African police have charged Olympic star Oscar Pistorius with the murder of his girlfriend, who was shot in the sprinter's home Thursday.
Pistorius, 26, kept weapons at his gated, luxury South African home as a means of protection against his country's soaring crime rate, according to a British writer who had exclusive access to the Olympic sprinter. In the early hours of Thursday morning, the 400 meter runner – the first man to compete in the Olympics and Paralympics – is believed to have used part of his weapons collection to tragically gun down his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp. Early reports had the alleged incident being reported as an accident, but police spokesperson Brigadier Denise Beukes told the Associated Press that information did not come from police and that "it would be very premature and very irresponsible of me to say what actually has happened."
"There have been allegations," Beukes said. "We are not sure."
Oscar Pistorius was taken into custody Thursday. According to those initial reports, Pistorius mistook Steenkamp, a 30-year-old television personality and model, for an intruder as she entered his residence at 3 a.m. and allegedly shot her four times in the arms and head.
Feb. 13, 2013 Yahoo
"Ok, we're gonna go forward with the plan, with the burn ... like we talked about."
"Seven burners deployed and we have a fire."
"Copy. Seven burners deployed and we have a fire."
These purported police commands come from 5 minutes and 17 seconds of audio allegedly recorded off law enforcement radios during Tuesday’s tense standoff between SWAT officers and suspected serial killer Christopher Dorner.
The audio, posted to YouTube, has fueled speculation that authorities may have purposely started the fire to either kill Dorner or force him to surrender.
On Wednesday, law enforcement sources confirmed to the Los Angeles Times that officers did throw incendiary tear gas canisters into the mountain cabin before it caught fire. According to the Times:
SWAT officers surrounding the cabin were under a "constant barrage of gunfire," one source said. “He put himself in that position. There weren’t a lot of options.” Hoping to end the standoff, law enforcement authorities first lobbed "traditional" tear gas into the cabin. When that did not work, they opted to use CS gas canisters, which are known in law enforcement parlance as incendiary tear gas. These canisters have significantly more chance of starting a fire. This gas can cause humans to have burning eyes and start to feel as if they are being starved for oxygen. It is often used to drive barricaded individuals out.
Dorner, a disgruntled ex-LAPD officer accused of killing four people in the past week, never emerged from the charred cabin near Big Bear Lake, Calif.
The coroner’s office is studying the remains of a burned body found in the basement, but an anonymous official told The Associated Press that a wallet and personal items, including a California driver's license issued to Christopher Dorner, were recovered.
With the purpose of writing about true crime in an authoritative, fact-based manner, veteran journalists J. J. Maloney and J. Patrick O’Connor launched Crime Magazine in November of 1998. Their goal was to cover all aspects of true crime: from organized crime to serial killers, from capital punishment to prisons, from historical crimes to celebrity crime, from assassinations to government corruption, from justice issues to innocent cases, from crime films to books about crime. Read More